Does my architect need to have insurance?

Even for a small house extension or renovation, it’s hugely important that your architect (or other architectural designer) holds professional indemnity insurance. If anything goes wrong with your project as a result of their advice or work, it will be much more straightforward to claim back any financial loss you may incur as a result.


Featured image above by Alice, architect from Waltham Forest, London. Click here to see more and shortlist them for your home project.

Find your perfect design pro within minutes…

Here at Design for Me, we’ve helped thousands of homeowners all over the UK to find the best architect or designer for their project.

✓ Get matched within minutes and see who’s interested.
✓ Get no obligation quotes.
✓ It’s completely free.

What’s the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance?

Public liability insurance does not cover professional negligence of the architect or their staff. Instead it covers the liability of the architect/practice to third parties for injury or death or damage to a property.


Will an ‘unregistered’ architect have insurance cover?

There’s actually no such thing as an ‘unregistered’ architect’ in the UK. To call yourself an architect in the UK in the first place, you need to be registered with the ARB (Architect’s Registration Board – not RIBA as is sometimes assumed). So the title of ‘architect’ is protected and it’s a good idea to check whether your architect is listed on the ARB website.

However, there are other architectural design professionals, such as ‘architectural designers’, ‘architectural technicians’ and ‘architectural technologists’, who may well be very experienced and have the expertise to undertake your project. See our article here on the differences between these design professionals and what to look out for.

An architect, under the ARB’s code of conduct, is required to hold adequate professional indemnity insurance. Other architectural design professionals are not necessarily duty bound to have it. In all cases – architects or not – it’s worth checking to see what cover they have and for how much.



Finding the right architect for your home building or renovation project

As well as being founder of Design for Me, I am also a qualified architect. I found that many homeowners search online to find well established or high-end practices (it makes sense – these companies have bigger marketing budgets with stylish websites). However, such practices are often too busy, too expensive and, in fact, often less experienced in dealing with small residential projects on ‘normal’ budgets.

So I wanted to create this platform for those design professionals I know who are suitable, experienced and eager to take on domestic projects like yours. They are often small practices or freelancers. The problem was that, before Design for Me, they were very difficult to find. All you need to do is tell us a bit about your project.

  • Quickly see who’s interested in your job.
  • Create a shortlist.
  • Invite up to three for a no-obligation consultation.


Emily  Design for Me

facebook tweet linkedin instagram pinterest


Find your perfect design pro within minutes…

Here at Design for Me we match you with the right design professional, from thousands all over the UK. Get quotes & arrange up to three no obligation consultations. And it’s all completely free! Find out more here or get started below…



Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)